2023 for me has been about adopting to a whirlwind of changes, that were years in the making. I started my year with bidding farewell to my previous workplace of over 9 year. I was living alone, in a neighborhood that I had grown to love over the past year. I have met more than a few hundred new people this year, make a whole lot of new family, colleagues, and some friends. A lot of the times, I had my guards up.
Of course, I know you dress for the party you attend, act the way the role needs you to. But there is a whole range of freedom even within the roles of a son-in-law, a friend, a colleague, or a confidante.
How much can I trust them, how much do I share, which version of myself do I reveal here?
I have been on the harsh end of treatment in many situation in my life, in harsher conditions than I can even wish for my worst enemies. I did not want my life choices to be a reaction to that by either conforming to the fear or taking an agressive posture.
I would rather choose kindness proactively. Adopt the motto of "err on the side of kindness". Err being as important of a word here as kindness, because it is an error, most of the times, to opt for the kinder path. It does not make for the most optimum results at times, leaving room for exploitation.
Was I hurt by the kindness? Yes, I know of one or two incidents in 2023 where my trust was misplaced and it changed the shape of my year. But what amazing new bonds have I created due to the openness. I have tried new places, new food items, learned a lot, thanks to the strength and kindness of those around me. I would not trade these wins to save myself from the losses.
Of course, I know you dress for the party you attend, act the way the role needs you to. But there is a whole range of freedom even within the roles of a son-in-law, a friend, a colleague, or a confidante.
How much can I trust them, how much do I share, which version of myself do I reveal here?
I have been on the harsh end of treatment in many situation in my life, in harsher conditions than I can even wish for my worst enemies. I did not want my life choices to be a reaction to that by either conforming to the fear or taking an agressive posture.
I would rather choose kindness proactively. Adopt the motto of "err on the side of kindness". Err being as important of a word here as kindness, because it is an error, most of the times, to opt for the kinder path. It does not make for the most optimum results at times, leaving room for exploitation.
Was I hurt by the kindness? Yes, I know of one or two incidents in 2023 where my trust was misplaced and it changed the shape of my year. But what amazing new bonds have I created due to the openness. I have tried new places, new food items, learned a lot, thanks to the strength and kindness of those around me. I would not trade these wins to save myself from the losses.