Writing Things Down

I used to like writing a lot. I wrote diaries, I wrote blog posts, I had scribbled notes alongside doodles at the back of every notebook I owned.

Then one day I did not have the time, or the patience to do it anymore. I hated writing. I was about working. Getting things done. Two sentences email replies. Photos.

Now after years of working like this, suddenly I want to start writing again.

I realized it is one of the most important skills for growth...  being able to write that is. Taking complex information and being able to package it in a concise manner, taking analysis and decisions and being able to put it in a convincing note... opens it up to new possibilities.

You can try to convince a lot of people by talking to them, but a document allows your thoughts to scale a lot more. In a job, often you need your ideas to reach people who will not have the time to have a long discussion with you, or watch a video from you, but they will be able to glance over your concept note... and if they like the note, then you get to talk more about it.

So write things down. That thing you are itching to tell your boss, that suggestion you want to make you believe will make a huge difference in your team's work, write them down, see if it still makes sense on paper, strengthen your argument, go over it again. Make a convincing note that doesn't require you to be there to explain it. If you cannot do that, you need to think more.

Write and watch your words scale even when you are not there.
Happy writing.

Radi
24 March 2019
Dhaka