Towards Good Cover Letter for CV

Cover letter for CV (curriculum vitae) is sort of an introduction to you. The CV is attached with it. Usually a prospective employer may only read the cover letter to get a feel about a candidate for a job. So it is very important to have a good cover letter along with your CV (where you point out your education and experience in a systematic format). Keep the following things in mind when writing the cover letter.


1. Use easy words. Use a language that the employer will appreciate most. If you believe that he or she wants to see the strength of your vocabulary, only then you may go otherwise.

2. Show your awareness. Let them know that you are aware about the company’s position and values. This might be done in the first paragraph of the letter.

3. Emphasize your strong points. Write the qualities, experiences that are aligned with the job. This should come in the second paragraph.


4. Express your vision. Finally, write about how you may contribute to the company’s future success. Here, you connect your previously stated qualities with the company’s task.

5. Do not write everything. Cover letters should take a kind of a story telling approach. If you are giving every bit of information and history about yourself then the reader may lose interest easily. It is very important to write down only the strongest points about yourself when you have many strong points and achievements. Keep in mind these points should be relevant to the company’s needs.

6. Give contact information. Do not forget to give your contact information. Give the phone number/ email address that the company will be able to reach you through.

Here is a sample cover letter. A Business Graduate writes this to an Advertising Agency.

House # 100, Road # 1,
A000 Housing Society,
A0000, Dhaka -1207
11 November 2013

Md. Gausul Azam
Human Resource Manager
Grey Advertising Bangladesh Ltd.
House 6 (5th Floor), Road 137, Gulshan 1
Dhaka 1212

Dear Mr. Azam:

I saw an advertisement last week in The Daily Star that Grow Advertising Bangladesh Ltd. is looking for new creative managers. It immediately grabbed my attention, as Grow Group is one of the ten largest advertising agencies in the world. And in Bangladesh it has made its mark in a very short time.

I completed my BBA from 0000000, University of 00000 that is one of the best business schools of Bangladesh. My CGPA of 3.6 is a proof of my competency in tough competitive environment. During that time, I took part in the Inter-University branding competition, MARKETWIZ and took the runner-up position. I did major in marketing. I think that my educational background and experience will help GREY to provide highly creative services that it aims to provide its customers.

GROW wants to produce truly great creative works and my experience shows the dynamic qualities that are needed for creative output. I worked in Solution One, the reputed creative service provider as a graphic designer for 3 years. I started off my own coaching center in 2009. I had to do on the field marketing with very small budget at that time and by 2011, A.I. Academic Care became one of the leading coaching centers in Dhaka. These helped me build my managerial skills. And in 2012 I worked part-time as a Junior Officer in Navana Real Estate’s marketing department. At that time I contributed in the highly successful marketing campaign, “You Can Have a Home”. All these have made me very familiar to brand planning, creative development and production.

I am very interested to speak with you in person about how I can contribute to GROW’s future success. I can come by any time of your convenience. You can call me at 01100000000 or email me at r00000@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Rahat Hammad

Enc.