Crutch

Today I saw a senior citizen, sitting with a cane by his side at Star Kabab. Contrary to what the cane might suggest, he looked fairly strong. I saw him get up and walk to wash his hands, with no support. He even toppled over a heavy chair on his way, being totally nonchalant about it. While I was busy with devouring my "Chinese vegetable" with double egg omelette, his demeanour did leave a mark on my mind.
 
A few hours later, I saw another lady, walking with a crutch, and I could clearly see the she almost put no pressure on it, but the rhythmic beat from the crutch's heel was sort of spurring her along.

Did they "need" the support? My answer would be no, at least not at that moment. However, one could easily see the impact this support had on their movement. They walked more freely, knowing that there is a support in place. A lot of the support we get in life often works in the same way. Even though we may not "need" the parents' backup, or a partner's emotional support all the time, knowing that it is there, makes everything else a lot easier for us.

Even an unused vanity-crutch is a big boost. Felt only by the ones who have none.

Radi
27 July 2022