SpitWriting: 3 Short Stories


I recently joined a spitpainting group on facebook. Where they give a topic and you have to come up with a painting on it within 30 minutes. I liked that concept very much and applied it to writing. I asked two of my friends, who gave me the topics, 'dream', 'a one taka coin' and 'the mountain top' - and I had to write something within 15 minutes of getting each of the topics. And here they are.

Dream

It all seemed to make perfect sense there, I said to myself. But I cannot fathom how. I was turning the dictionary, and going through Mr. A and Mr. B's history. Fine gentlemen they both appear I must say, with Mr. A wearing suit and tie and Mr. B's shiny shoes almost leaving me blind. I was about to move on to all the others. Ms. N invited me to dinner I remember. But suddenly Mr. A and Mr B started jumping. And then you came to my university, took my hand and we were swimming in the ocean. It's all so nice - I thought, I wonder when I meet Mr. A again. And then suddenly- I woke up.

A One Taka Coin

"You spin and spin and with it, my life,
I dream and cry and with it, I die."

Who would have thought a one taka coin could become so important in my life. I looked at it, I could listen to the sound it made doing its tango through the air.

And the tango ended with a cry of "Shapla!"... So I lost, and it was time for me to follow through with my stupid promise. I had to kiss her, right then and there.

The Mountain Top

Everyday was a struggle for Joshim. Climbing this mountain has become a part of his daily routine. He is a chubby fellow. And climbing this high is not easy. But a man needs to take responsibility for his family, and Joshim knew that for the next few days, he had to climb the mountain everyday as his wife was expecting a baby and he had to get the food everyday.

Beware of the white lines, he reminded himself. He remembers when his younger brother Mihal once stepped on one of those white lines and died a few hours later. Also, beware of light, it is always better to move along the shadows. That's how we protect ourselves from the wrath of giants. At last, he was there, on the mountain top. That had all the bread crumb in the world.

Twaat! Joshim was dead. Someone killed the cockroach with one swift move of a sandal.