Why I Think Truth is Overrated

Truthfulness is considered necessary, and in most cases a great part of a good character. But it can also bring about certain unwanted consequences if applied in the wrong places. I think the way we emphasize telling truth in our society is very overrated. Here are the reasons why.

1. People want you to act the way they want to see you 

Question: “How are the studies going?”

Truth: “I miss a lot of classes, my grades are getting worse each semester and most of my classmates have higher CGPA than me.” 

Reaction: Oh Allah! This boy is hopeless. 

Correct answer: “The University where I am, CGPA doesn’t matter. Most of us are geniuses beyond your grasp.”  




2. People often don’t want the truth 


Question: “Why are you not going to the party the guys are holding?” 

Truth: “I don’t like being around too many people” 

Reaction: They would all be trying to make me understand how good it is to be around friends, what a good time I will have and what a childish excuse I am giving. 

Correct answer: “I have ‘stuff’ to take care of, sorry.”  




3. Honesty can get you a D+ grade 


Waz was late for an exam due to oversleeping. He went to meet the faculty as fast as he could and told that he overslept. The faculty said, “I appreciate your honesty, but I won’t take a make-up test.” After almost a month of hassle, the faculty eventually gave Waz a D+ grade. 

On the other hand, Adil was also late for an exam due to oversleeping, he just called one of his friends and that friend said to the faculty that Adil was in a minor accident and was going to be late for the exam. The faculty gave him extra time to finish the exam after he arrived. 




4. Not everyone can digest honest opinions


Do you have a poet, designer, blogger, photographer or some other kind of creative friend who just cant get enough feedback on his works? (I know for some people that person is me) Maybe he has an album uploaded on facebook titled “Mah Editzzz” with pictures that were edited (tortured) with some mobile application? Maybe he wrote a love story that is somewhat disturbing? And now he wants your opinion on that album or note. 

What should you do? If he is not that close a friend, your honest opinions may seem rude. 

Press ‘like’ and comment ‘nice work’. Everyone else is giving “SUperLikeZZzz”. Where’s the harm in pressing ‘like’? It will result in an inflated ego at best.

Check out Mah Editzzz guyz!



5. Truth can be annoying 


Teacher asks, “Does everybody understand?” 


How dare you say you don’t understand after she has explained the whole thing for the third time? 


I think I have said enough.



This post is not about moral guidelines. I don’t suggest that you lie. Just be careful about when you tell the truth.