Toy

“Please, Mother! Please…”

I was walking very slowly through Krishi Market, a mud covered road at the back of the market remained to be conquered by in order for me to my destination. It was a rainy day, and I had my cheap rubber sandals on, which provided very little friction with the road to enable me to move properly.


“Why can’t I have it, Mother? Please...”


I heard the cry but was still focused on the muddy floor of this road. Huge holes had been dug open for some government development project all over the road. This meant that I was one slip away from a manhole.

“Not now!”

Now I looked up to see. It was a little boy and his mother. She was holding him by his arm as he was swinging from side to side; kind of like the way kids play with trees. It was a desperate attempt to make his mother buy him a toy of some sort I thought.

“What did I just say? Not Now! I can’t!”

I saw the look of despair on the boy’s face. I did not look at the mother, maybe because I already had an idea of what she was going through. It was almost the end of the month. For the people who have to count the amount they spend each day to make sure they can survive more than twenty days at least without borrowing money, this is the time of month when you cannot be gracious.

I started recalling all the foolish grudges I had on my parents when I was a little kid, I thought they never bought me enough toys, I thought my elder brother got more gifts when he was my age. I used to think why did I not get that weird looking dress that boy is wearing who walks on the balcony of that house right next to us, why did that another boy have roller skates on that I was not allowed to have, why, why, why? (Though I must add, now I think I had plenty of toys at that age.)

This mother I saw may know how unnecessary the boy’s wishes are, but still she wants to do all she can to fulfill them. When she cannot, though she shouts in anger, I know that anger is just to veil the helplessness she feels.

I focused again on the task I was on before. I started walking. The boy’s voice faded away. No more worries about toys in my head. Just another glimpse at why parents are the best blessings God has bestowed upon us.