Mr. Twist

I woke up with a disgusting taste in my mouth as if I had swallowed a cockroach in my dreams. But I didn’t, and I was very sure about it. Why was I so disgusted then?? Oh! I remembered, I had to go to classes. Why o why? My mother was still asleep, and I did not try to wake her up.


I quickly took a shower and got dressed. I looked at the clock to realize that I had no time for breakfast. So I did what any man of my wisdom would do. I took hold of Mr. Twist (potato chips) and a bottle of water. I slipped them into my backpack and started my journey towards the bus stand.



As soon as I got onto the bus, I thanked Almighty because I got the second to last seat near the window on the right. On a busy hour like that it was close to a miracle. There had been many days before when I had to stand for almost an hour till I reached University.

But I was not that much lucky with the signature traffic jam of Dhaka. It took almost 40 minutes just to reach Asad Gate, which is a 30 minute walk. However, I was determined to be patient. My stomach on the other hand was letting its dissatisfaction with hunger known. It was surely releasing some weird enzyme that you hear on the discovery channel about. Enzyme is ok, but not for me now as it was causing serious twitching inside my tummy.

I had to do something, and I had to do it fast, Mr. Twist was calling me from inside of my backpack. It was telepathy! It was black magic! Oh! The agony of having Mr. Twist going Voodoo all over my poor tummy! What could my helpless mind do? All the sweaty faces around. Passengers, stuck just like me. Many of whom probably have their stomachs twitching stronger than my own. I thought about them but dared not look into their eyes for what I might have done next.

What could happen if I gave in? What will all the tired and hungry eyes around do to me? Would I be despised? Cursed? Would I have a busy day in the latrine ahead just for a pack of potato chips? Oh the painful tummy tumbling tough thoughts!

No! I could not just sit still any longer! With no sign of the traffic jam fading away, I gave in to my hunger. I took out my Mr. Twist, bit open the pack with a cracking sound that must have drawn attention from all those cursing eyes around me. But I did not care anymore.

Dear Mr. Twist, you were all that I cared about at that time. The bliss of satisfied tummy! I was falling away! Lost In the silent ballet! And all other hungry eyes around – you keep on wishing for my busy days in toilet ahead – but there is no stopping me now!